Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Hey There, Harborite: Erin Worth


Name/Age:  Erin Worth, 29

Where do you live: Aberdeen ,WA

Profession/Day job: Chef/Owner of Lunch

Loyal to: I bleed blue and gold baby....Bobcat all the way

Best Harbor Moment:  I was sitting in Starbucks with Callie Pratt and Krister Lile talking about the harbor and how we should change it or even if it was worth sticking around.  Suddenly we were talking about what we wanted on the harbor and within two hours I had been talked in to starting my own cafe.  It was the seed that over the course of six months turned in to my place Lunch.  It all started with a simple hypothetical question.

Favorite Coffee Stand: When I was younger I was very loyal to Coffee Cat.  But I have worked at the local Starbucks and now I serve Batdorf and Bronson coffee and Lunch so I just drink my own espresso when I get to work in the morning.

Favorite Local Business:  There are several.  I love Waughs because Trent is there and he keeps me informed about all the latest and greatest Washington Wines, but I'm alway pleasantly surprised when I go in the Country Closet.  The owner has so many cute items along with the season/holiday trend and I can't wait to see what she has for Valentine's Day.

Grunge, Metal or Country: I'm a little Country I have to say.  I was lost when Big D and Bubba left the air but now they are on the Big Foot County on the Harbor and they are the only people I can tolerate in the morning because they play quite a bit of music too.

Beach, Forest or River:  Beach.  I love the beach in the middle of a storm and I love the beach in the summer.  Westport is diverse with many things to see.  You can go to the Jetty and watch the surfers and then go walk the docks and buy fresh seafood right off the boats.  I wish more businesses were open year round but it's a nice afternoon adventure.

Favorite outdoor adventure or day trip:  I love the drive up the Quinault and walking the Big tree loop and then either having lunch in the Roosevelt room at Lake Quinault Lodge or driving over to the coast and having lunch at Ocean Crest or in Seabrook.  It's a nice loop even in the winter with newly paved roads and very little traffic.  When I have people come to town who have never been to the harbor I always do this with them.

Best way to stay dry on rainy days:  Stay at home with a good book and a fire or drive up to Walter Dacon in Shelton and see if there are any new wines and developments and have a chat about small business with Andy.

Define the Harbor in one word: supportive

If you could change one thing about the area, what would it be:  I want to revive downtown.  We all talk about wanting independent stores and a beautiful downtown area that we can be proud of but when we look at our bank statements and in this economy we all flock to the super stores like Walmart for the discount products and best deals.  We watched so many great places close over the years due to the fact that they can not compete with the slashed prices.  It's devastating to see 75% of the down town un-occupied and torn up.

Grays Harbor's best kept secret:  My Place!!! Lunch is growing but I'm still looking for more.  Once the spring hits there will be outdoor seating and homemade gelato.  I'm excited for the future of Lunch and everything it has to offer the public.

No comments:

Post a Comment