Thursday, February 23, 2012

Going Once, Going Twice... SOLD to the Grays Harbor History Books


In the market for a pneumatic fork lift? How about a walk-in freezer or a fresh produce display? Or, if you're like me, maybe you've always wanted to make your own Super Market Sweep set up in your basement?

Well you're in luck! Today is auction day at the Swanson's Grocery Store on Simpson Avenue. Starting at 10am you can bid on (and win) pieces of the harbor's historical family-owned grocery store that's been around since 1953. I'm actually really bummed that this grocery store closed because it's only 2 blocks from my house and was the easiest "shop local" stop for my family. Anyone else disappointed to see that family members can't get their act together enough to keep the doors of a harbor staple business open?

Anyhow, it's all beside the point. While the middle Swanson's legacy goes to the history books, the goods can go to you! I browsed through the auction catalog at the James G Murphy Company website and boy, do I wish I was ready to start the cakery I've dreamed about the last couple years! From all the deli & bakery equipment, to the actual store fixtures, it's all here. You really could do supermarket sweep - checkstands (checkstand surfing?), shopping carts, gondola shelving... the possibilities for fun (and injury) are endless! Go get your bidder number, fellow harborites, and I'll see you there!

(david ruprecht not included.)


No comments:

Post a Comment