Friday, October 26, 2012

Last minute costume? Shop Local!

From the state of my Facebook feed, it seems that there are many, many, many Halloween procrastinators amongst us when it comes to shopping for a costume.  Every other post for the past week says something similar to the following; 

"Totally have a party tomorrow and have no idea what to dress up as! 
Maybe I should just go as a cat...again."

This is just not acceptable harborites.  We have got to use our imaginations when it comes to the last minute Halloween costume.  Especially when we don't want to spend an inordinate amount of money at (ugh) Halloween overpriced City.  Our solution here at GoGo?  Shop our local stores for items that you can use even after Halloween to make a kick-butt costume that wont break your budget.

Lets start with our beloved local Dennis Co.  While wondering the aisles on a random Tuesday a few weeks ago, a friend and fellow blogger noticed an entire wall of Boyscout pins, ribbons, scarves, belts and vests.  Talk about a treasure trove for last minute costume planning.  How easy to take a few patches and a vest and pair with a skirt or jeans and white sneakers for an instant costume!

Last weekend I was shopping in town for a new side table for my living room when I decided to stop in at the Variety Store in Elma for some fabric for pillows.  Walking in this establishment is like taking a step back in time to the variety stores of the past.  They literally have EVERYTHING you could ever need for your home and you life.  As far as costumes ideas are concerned, the only thing i could think of is grandma..But in the spirit of Halloween dressing as grandma is just not enough, so I have a few options for you.  The Variety store has gardening supplies and big floppy hats.  Pair this with a pair of capri pants and a over sized button up shirt and presto... Martha Stewart.  Secondly, how about an ensemble costume.  Go for Little Red Riding Hood, The Big Bad Wolf and, you guessed it, Grandma.


Hometown feed is a frequent stop on my errand runs, our dog is a super demanding puppy and I love buying dog bones to keep him occupied.  Walking around this store, several costume ideas come to mind.  First, dog collars, cat collars.. you could go the traditional route and dress as an animal, or use one of the dog beds, cut open, as a potato!


Harbor Saw and Supply is my ultimate place for a costume that can double in your everyday life.  How about the Brawny Paper Towel Man!  You all probably have a pair of jeans hanging out in your closet and since you live on the harbor, I am going to assume here that you have a pair of work boots hiding out in the garage.  Pick up a flannel at Harbor Saw and some paper towels at Swansons and Presto! Insta-costume.



2 comments:

  1. It's not quite last-minute and there are those of us who are NEVER short on ideas or skills! So I'd like to self-promote here as a local seamstress & craftivist. I can & do sew custom clothing, the more creative the better. You can see some of my work at my website or in my Flickr sewing portfolio. My current fave, a custom Louise get-up for kids or grownups.

    I even have a handful of things ready-made right now. Some cute baby stuff all 0 to 6 months depending on the baby's size! My personal favorite, Squidlet, very warm & fleece lined and definitely one of a kind. Then a Hitchcockian Vertigo (fabric designed by moi), and a couple super-warm Halloweeny buntings: Zombi and All Hallows' Eve (these last two feature a handknit hat from yarn bought at the local Yarn Corner). Adorable & attractive as well as a very, very warm . All homemade & all 100% supporting a local family who supports local business in turn.

    I do custom sewing and am happy to help out *gratis*. I'm at Gray's General for those who are craft-challenged & need help stitching (refer to Britta's Event Calendar for that - tonight we have a drop-in workshop but I don't think anyone's signed up).

    Crafting shouldn't be a drag. If you don't have the skills there are those of us who'd love to help you out!

    Good luck everyone with their Halloween costumes - for those who are dressing up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should add. You can email me at kelly AT hogaboom DOT org, or call or text 360 500 3287. Email & text works best.

    ReplyDelete