Thursday, June 28, 2012

Julie Rajcich Designs: Rusty Scupper Pirate Daze


After nine months of studying photography in Spokane, WA I am happy to return to my hometown of Aberdeen for the summer months. Unfortunately I have to return to Spokane in the fall to finish up my photography classes in order to receive my degree next spring but I am taking full advantage of the current opportunity to soak up Grays Harbor for all it’s worth.

As a new local business owner I intend to make it to as many local events as I can this summer with my camera to showcase the many great things the harbor has to offer.  This past weekend I began my photography adventure by attending the 10th Annual Rusty Scupper’s Pirate Daze festival in Westport.   With my younger sister by my side we had a blast!  Although I was born and raised in Aberdeen, this was the first time attending the event for both of us. I was impressed with how many people went full out with their pirate costumes and how seriously they took their roles as performing pirates.  It was a great event for all ages and it was fun to see the smiles on all of the children’s faces.
I made it out to the event for a few hours on Friday afternoon and took in the boom pirates black powder demonstrations by the viewing tower and also wandered out onto the jetty to meet some of the fisherman.  Rain played a part in the event but the weather didn’t seem to hinder the attitudes of the vendors, performers, and event attendees which kept the spirit of the event light and fun. 
Saturday evening we returned to the event to take in the fire dancers and fireworks. The performance was fantastic and went far beyond any expectations I may have had. The show lasted for about an hour and we couldn’t have asked for a better night for such a performance. After a long day of rain the clouds parted just in time for a gorgeous sunset and the fire dancers were blessed with a starry sky and almost no wind!  It was an amazing night and I feel fortunate to have been there to experience it with all of the other spectators.  For those who missed the event, make sure to mark your calendars for next year. It’s an experience you don’t want to miss!

Pictures from the event can be found under the “Events” category on my website at http://www.julierajcichdesigns.com/
and are available for purchase by clicking“Client Albums” link. 
We can also be found on Facebook- Julie Rajcich Designs, http://www.facebook.com/JulieRajcichDesigns.
If you know of any special events coming up let us know at julierajcich@gmail.com
and we’ll try to fit it into our summer tour of Grays Harbor!

Guest Post provided by Julie Rajcich
Julie Rajcich Designs - Photography + Graphics

No comments:

Post a Comment