Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Hey There Harborite: Kyle Pauley


Name/Age: Kyle Pauley/30

Where do you live: Cosmopolis

Profession/Day Job: Journalist at KXRO/Owner at AXB

Loyal to: Wishkah Loggers

Best Harbor Moment: Growing up I heard about Metal Church from harborites, but never had a chance to see them until a few years ago.  I've been to a thousand concerts but seeing Metal Church return and play at the NW passage before they broke up is the highlight of my concert life.

Favorite Coffee Stand: Anywhere with White Coffee.  I usually only drink my 16oz quad shot white chocolate mocha with white coffee when garage sailing on Saturdays.  Black coffee and energy drinks fill my days.

Favorite Local Business: Can I count AXB as my favorite?  This is a hard question because how do you choose?  Growing up I loved the mystery of Judy's Collectibles, but as an adult I love Pure Clothing.  I have a fondness toward Tom Cat Tatoo, Roseveers and astickymess.com.  I love any business that knows that not every person is exactly the same and you can be yourself.

Grunge, Metal or Country: Yes. Grunge will always hold a place in my heart.  My Zune is filled with everything from Hall Aflame to Kanye, Dave Matthews Band to Slipknot.  If I am working on something new I prefer Rage Against the Machine, but usually it is something acoustic.

Beach, Forest, or River: I grew up in Wishkah and was surrounded by the forest.  I would get lost for hours on a deer trail and I will always feel most at home there above the others.

Favorite outdoor adventure or day trip: I have always loved the Jetty for the same reason I love junkyards and abandoned buildings.  I love to go out as far as possible before dropping down and crawling as far as I can through the tunnels and finding random rope and sticks.  Inside I'm still a 5 year old boy.

Define the Harbor in one word: Home.

If you could change one things about the area, what would it be: When I was in college at GHC, I was thinking of where I wanted to go and what I wanted to see, but I realized then that this is where I need to be.  I want to do everything I can to show people that this area is filled with things to do and there is so much good happening.  The fact that people still see The Harbor as a "depressed logging community" or the buzz phrase of the day is what I would like to change.

Grays Harbor's best kept secret: Mallards.  Whatever you are doing right now, make a reservation.

No comments:

Post a Comment