Tuesday, July 17, 2012

One Step At A Time: One Harborite's Inspirational Crusade Across America


Have you ever just wanted to do something great; something that inspires others, promotes a good cause and fills you with a sense of personal achievement? One harborite is making his “something great” a reality. Nicholas Valentine is on a 3000 mile one-man journey across America from West to East coast. Did I mention he is doing it on foot?

That’s right, Nick’s Walk is a walk across America aimed at raising awareness for diabetes, healthy lifestyles and personal inspiration.  On June 19, Nicholas Valentine stepped out of the waters of the Pacific Ocean and embarked on an expedition to realize his dream of impacting the world one step at a time. His journey is chronicled on his website, nickswalk.com where he regularly updates his progress. The site also features information on his motivation, his goals for the walk and how to donate (the walk is funded entirely by the generosity of those who wish to see him succeed).  When he took a few days to rest and calculate the next leg of his route, Nicholas spoke with Go Go Grays Harbor about the experience thus far, his goals and what lies ahead.
Everybody, meet Nick.
Photo courtesy of nickswalk

First off, how's the journey so far? Where are you currently at?
Nick: The journey so far has been amazing yet extremely challenging. Currently I have made it as far as Hood River Oregon where I am taking a week to do more planning and mapping. It was important to stop at this point because these first few weeks have been a steep learning curve and I need to make the proper adjustments.

What inspired you to take on this expedition across America in the name of diabetes awareness?
Nick: There are a couple aspects to that answer. For quite awhile I had dreamed of going on a great adventure and getting myself into better shape. When I decided to finally make this walk happen, I (and my friend Jared, who helped me plan this journey) knew it would be a wasted opportunity to not use it to help or inspire others. I decided that this walk would be a great inspirational tool to motivate those at risk of becoming diabetic by inspiring them to become physically active. My family has had a history of diabetes and I did not want to be a part of that.

What do you hope people take away from your efforts?
Nick: Inspiration. I would love for people to say to themselves, "Hey if that guy can walk across America I can make some small changes in my own life to live healthier."

Is it what you expected so far?
Nick: The physical challenge has been very hard and about what I expected, but what I never expected was the generosity and beautiful nature of both friends and total strangers. I often find myself getting quite emotional when people stop on the side of the road to tell me I have inspired them, or when people leave comments on my site and Facebook telling me they believe in the project.

Posing with a summer road crew member.
Photo courtesy of nickswalk

Have you seen anything crazy/funny/unusual as you walk?
Nick: It's very strange walking out on the open road. I think one thing that stands out in my mind is all of the garbage littering the side of the road. It's very sad because… you see how people have really trashed the environment. I have seen many things in just a few weeks from people’s tires blowing out, to 4 person bicycles and more. Combine that with a ton of awesome scenery and it’s very exciting because I'm just getting started and I will see so much more.

Do you miss Grays Harbor? Anything you miss most?
Nick: Well before I left it wouldn't stop raining, so I was ready for a break from the Harbor but yes. I miss my family and friends and everyone up at Grays Harbor College. I also miss "All Wrapped Up" coffee and Gepetto’s pizza in Montesano.

How long is the journey going to take?
Nick finds more friends along the way.
Photo courtesy of nickswalk
Nick: It's hard to say. I think it could be five months if I average enough miles per day but it could take longer.

Wow! Five months of walking. How many pairs of shoes do you think you’ll go through?
Nick: I'm starting my second pair after this break is over so I think maybe 7 pairs.

This is going to be a huge accomplishment for you. What are your plans for afterwards? Any thought on that yet?
Nick: Yes, I plan on finishing a book about my journey and I would love to speak to different groups about the walk, health, inspiration and making projects and things that can change lives.

How can people get involved and show their support for Nick's Walk?
Nick: The entire project is funded and supported by donations through my Fundly site at www.fundly.com/nickswalk.  This is the most direct way people can keep the walk safe and an effective campaign of inspiration. Also on my site www.nickswalk.com there is a list of other ways people can help. I encourage everyone to visit my site and click the Facebook button so they can follow along with all of the most recent posts and video blogs. I should also mention that everyone who donates will get a free copy of my ebook that I am writing about my travels.


Any closing thoughts for our readers?
Nick: I just want to say thanks to everyone involved so far and thank you for the interview!

Be sure to follow Nick's progress and donate to the cause if you find yourself inspired by this amazing feat (feet? haha). Go Go Grays Harbor wishes all the best for Nick on his journey: Keep Calm, Stay Strong and Walk On!

The open road...
Photo courtesy of nickswalk

No comments:

Post a Comment