Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Wine, Dine & Shop All in One Place: Westport Winery

Six years of marriage? That's a cause for celebration! As someone who always thought she was too independent to settle down and start a family, every wedding anniversary is a delightful notch in my proverbial belt of marriage. This last Friday my husband and I decided to spend our celebration for two at the Westport Winery, one of my favorite local places. 


Outside of the Winery, by the gardens. 
I promise I'm grimacing at my finicky phone, and not the fabulous company.
Every time I go to the Winery, I remember how much I love it. This was our first time eating dinner there, and the food was simply devine! In fact, I ate it all before I remembered that I should have taken pictures for this blog. Call me impatient. Really, the food was just too incredible to stop eating. And when I did stop eating, it was to drink delicious wine, not reach for the camera.

There's also a lunch menu. This patio seating
will be perfect for Saturdays in the summer.
As far as selections go, my husband and I are both steak fans when we're eating out. My husband had the Prime Rib and I had the Garlic Tenderloin, both served with sesame sauteed broccoli and mashed potatoes. As we both took our first bites, I looked up and it was like looking in the mirror- the savory pleasure I felt was mimicked in the expression on his face. My husband's first words, I believe, were a declaration of his new favorite restaurant. We've been on the search for a new favorite local restaurant ever since Saginaw's in Elma closed up shop (which is a shame - it really was a fantastic restaurant and I hope the proprietors will pop up elsewhere for us to enjoy again), so imagine how ideal it is for me, wine lover, to have this little culinary jewel right in the middle of my favorite winery. Someone pencil me in a standing reservation, please.


Speaking of wine, I paired my dinner with a glass of Fleur de Lis Pinot Gris then a glass of Bordello Blonde. My husband opted for Elk River Reisling (I suspect due to the elk we spotted on the way out). All were delicious, but my favorite still stands at the Fleur de Lis. Pinot Gris and I are just meant for each other. After dinner and a delectable dessert of 4-layer coconut cake, we stepped over into the gift shop & tasting area. I love the selection of local products & goodies! From chocolate to canned vegetables to cook books and wine accessories, the gift shop is categorized by color and makes for a fun shopping experience. Makes me want to throw a wine party. 

 

Some of the fun, Washington-specific goodies for sale at the Winery.

I also did a tasting to get some more Westport Wines under my belt. For $5 you can taste 5 wines. The fee is even waived if you buy a bottle! And since I was definitely going to buy myself a bottle of Fleur De Lis Pinot Gris, I took advantage.

Wine tasting station & by-the-bottle purchases 
in an elegant color coordinated display.

Overall, it was the perfect backdrop for our anniversary celebration. If you're looking for a place with good atmosphere, great food & wine and a true local touch to celebrate a special occasion or take a hot date, this is the place. It's romantic and sophisticated without forgetting where you're at. You don't escape Grays Harbor at the Westport Winery, you just get to see the classier side. Cheers!


Evening twilight at Westport Winery.

No comments:

Post a Comment