Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Hey There, Harborite: Kelly Hogaboom



Name/Age: Kelly Hogaboom, 35

Where do you live: Hoquiam

Profession/Day Job: Homeschooler / Stitcher, Tailor, Artisan / Freelance Writer / Volunteer


Loyal To: My Family


Best Harbor Moment: It's hard to pick from so many years' worth of wonderful experiences. One that comes to mind: when my then-7 year old daughter and I took a bike-camping trip from Hoquiam out to Westport. We each rode our own bikes and packed our own gear. We had so much fun and met so many surprised but supportive people on the way! 


Favorite Coffee Stand: I'm partial to Tully's in Hoquiam for the convenience. Lunch at Lunch makes the best cappucino and tea latte. And I got a soft spot for Britta at Gray's General. Having a pour-over coffee while talking craftivism - you can't beat it.


Favorite Local Business: Taquería El Jalapeño - delicious, amazing, homestyle food at wonderful prices.


Grunge, Metal or Country: I've got a soft spot for grudge - I graduated in 1995 for crying out loud - but my musical predilicitons are most influenced by my husband Ralph, who writes and records his own. He's always bringing all sorts of stuff home. Currently listening to: CocoRosie, Florance & the Machine, Peaches, Hank Williams (the original), the Shirelles, and M83.


Beach, Forest or River: When it's hot out, I mean blazing hot, you gotta hit the river. The forest is good in any weather - perhaps best on a chilly and spooky fall evening. The beach is perfect when you're feeling a bit lonely and like you want to experience the glory of Creation.


Favorite outdoor adventure or day trip: In the last week of the Ocean Crest the kids and I took a trip to Point Grenville and we ran around for the day, the kids getting to ride in the back of the pickup truck. We then had a fancy meal at the Ocean Crest while being waited on by a friend. My children were so impressed with the view and drinking water out of wine glasses, they behaved like they were wearing tux and tails!


Define the Harbor in one word: verdant


If you could change one thing about the Harbor, what would it be: Nothing. It's perfect. Our difficulties keep us busy and keep us caring for one another.


Grays Harbor's best kept secret: The most wonderful, kind, hilarious and exhilarating weirdos live here. :-)



No comments:

Post a Comment