Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Run, Harborite, Run!




It's the world's most popular hobby, it was the key to early man's survival and it's the 19th most popular personal goal in the world. When is the last time you went running? And I don't mean from the parking lot to the time clock on days when you're late to work. I mean full on concentrated running or jogging for no other purpose than, well, to stretch your legs and run.

Been awhile? How about never? I'll admit I've only truly gone on a dedicated run a handful of times (4 or 5 tops) and they've all been within the last six months. Before that, never. I loathe a treadmill (the human hamster wheel), and I think I look ridiculous when I run so I keep to other options for my exercise. But last Thanksgiving I wanted a pre-feast workout and the gym was closed so I put my earbuds in, laced up and decided to give it a shot. It was pouring, by the way, and for all my spin-circuit classes I still had no stamina for continuously jogging, but it felt good to just go. I've enjoyed the few times I've gone out since then and I'm considering following a training program to run a 5k later this year.




5k, you say? Why, yes! Turns out there's plenty of organized runs scheduled for 2012 in the Grays Harbor area that you and I could be a part of. I had no idea and I bet you didn't either unless you're already a participating runner. Then good for you, you're one (thousand) steps ahead of me and everyone else.

In fact one of my good frie
nds, Sheena Paniagua, is a seriously dedicated runner (and Harborite) and has participated in many runs locally and regionally. She has been a huge resource for me as I strive to become more fitness oriented and she was kind enough to let me pick her brain for inspiration, tips and tricks on this whole running gig. Here's what she had to say:

Ali: So, I'll be frank right off the bat. Why run?
Sheena: I use running as a way to stay active and to be in good physical and mental shape. What first inspired me to start running was having my daughter and just the simple fact that it was something I've always been terrible at. It was the hardest, best challenge I could think of for myself.

Ali: Wow, that's pretty inspirational! How long have you been running? Any personal goals you're working towards?
Sheena: I've been running steadily for about a year and a half now. I have no specific goals with running right now other than to compete in a minimum of 6 races including one half marathon every year.

Ali: Six races and a half marathon?! I'm excited that I might do one. Any programs that you'd recommend for a beginner like me?
Sheena: I know the YMCA has a running group three days a week on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays to help locals prepare for the half marathon in Grays Harbor this summer.

Ali: Thanks, I'll check it out! I like the idea of running outdoors - any good routes in Grays Harbor you can recommend?
Sheena: My favorite outdoor place to run in Grays Harbor is along riverside in Hoquiam and run the loop around the bridges.

Ali: And when it rains... any tips for making it bearable?
Sheena: Get some underarmour coldgear to help keep warm and somewhat dry. Other than that, hit the tread mill if it's absolutely terrible out. That way there's no excuses!

Ali: How about tunes- what's your favorite running music?
Sheena: My must-have tunes for running would be Rihanna, Skrillex, Drake and anything else with a faster beat that can keep my running speed steady.

Ali: And an energy drink to keep up the pace, right?
Sheena: Energy drinks are high in sugar, calories and later give you a crash so avoid those! I would recommend at least a daily vitamin and some protein powder as far as supplements go.

Ali: Any final words of advice for me and my fellow beginners?
Sheena: My advice to beginners would be to take it slow and steady. You don't start out running long distances or going for speed, you slowly work into both and every week slowly increasing both until you get to the desired distance, speed, etc. And of course running shoes with good support and tread are important too for your back, joints and posture.



Sheena, posing at her first half-marathon, this last December. That's 13 miles, people!








If you're interested in participating in a local run this year here are a few events already on the calendar:
March 17 - St. Patrick's Day Run , Hoquiam. Info Here.

March 17 - Boston Marathon at Seabrook. Info Here
April 7 - Easter Bunny Hop Into Hoquiam Run, Hoquiam. Info Here
April 15 - Spring Fling Triathlon/Dualthon. Elma. Info Here.
May 5 - Annual Run for the Birds, Hoquiam. Info Here
June 16 - Harbor Rock-N-Roll Half-Marathon, Aberdeen/Hoquiam. Info Here.
July 14&15- Ocean Shores Tri & Footfest (8 different race options), Ocean Shores. Info Here.
August 4 - The Dirty Dash, McCleary (ORV Park). Info Here.
September 8- Reynvaan Run, Hoquiam. Info Here
October 27 - Haunted Hoquiam Run, Hoquiam. Info Here
November 7 - Turkey Trot Fun Run, Hoquiam. Info Here
December 1 - Ho Ho Hoquiam Run, Hoquiam. Info Here

All the detailed Hoquiam run information is available on their Fun Run website HERE.


That's a ton of options! And most of them are far enough away that there's plenty of time to train. If you'd like to give it a try, Sheena was correct that the YMCA has a training program set up. There is no link on the website to the information, but if you stop in they can provide you with a flyer describing the program times and costs.

If you would like to train on your own or with a friend, try the very popular Couch-To-5K program! A link to the 9-week program, which you follow on your own 3 days a week, is HERE.

I'm excited to branch out into something new and set a goal for myself to accomplish. I look forward to the hard work and training, and the reward of completing what I set out to do. I hope you will join me! I'll probably be the one in the back of the pack so I could use the company.



1 comment: