Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Hey There, Harborite: Ashley Greninger


Name/Age: Ashley Greninger / 27

Where do you live: Central Park

Profession/Day job: Music Director/Air Talent - The “Afternoon Delite” - The Harbor’s New Country, KIX 95.3. My job is my life and I’m more than okay with that.

Loyal to: I’ll always bleed blue and gold. Go Bobcats!

Best Harbor Moment: I’ve truly had several moments on the Harbor that I’d like to consider ‘best’, but if I have to pick just one I’m going to go with a kinda recent one. Last February I was the host for the Firemen’s Calendar Auditions. I’d never hosted an event like this, and just that alone was awesome. BUT, as strange as it sounds, hosting this event helped me in so many ways personally and professionally.

Favorite Coffee Stand: Consistent Cups in Aberdeen – they live up to their name. Try a pumpkin torte sometime… mmmm….

Favorite Local Business: Dennis Company. I absolutely love this store. They have way more than you’d expect.

Grunge, Metal or Country: I’m going to have to be biased on this one. ;) My heart belongs to country music. It is my passion. I pretty much live and breathe it, but I wouldn’t have it any other way. Please don’t label me to JUST country though. My numero uno is Jack Johnson. Throw in Elton John, DMB, and Paul Rodgers and I’m all set. I love most musical genre’s… however, if I cannot understand the lyrics being sung, I’ll probably turn it off.

Beach, Forest or River: Forest. Hands down, my favorite place on the Harbor is Lake Quinault. I have quite a few childhood memories there, as well as new. It’s gorgeous. There’s so much to do and see and it’s basically right in our back yard. Hiking, fishing, camping, just being – I’m in awe everytime I’m there. It makes my heart feel at peace. I’m also partial to the beach. I love walking along the shore looking at seashells and just getting lost staring at the waves… If I could change something about myself, it would be to not take these places for granted as much as I do. You’d think living here, I would go more… New Years Resolutions? Sure. Why not.

Favorite outdoor adventure or day trip: I really have to narrow this down to one?! I’ll say summiting Colonel Bob. I’d never climbed a mountain before. It was, to this date, the hardest thing I’ve ever put my body through, physically. Once I reached the top, the view took my breath away. All the pain I went through to get to the top was completely worth it. In all my life, I’ve never seen anything more beautiful. Pictures and video don’t quite do it justice. You have to see it in person and I challenge you do to so if you’re looking for a fun way to spend a morning/afternoon. (Word of advice? Maybe just don’t go when it’s 92 degrees out….) To know that an experience like THAT is RIGHT HERE, where I live, astounds me. I can't wait to do it again.

Best way to stay dry on rainy days: I say go dance in the rain! Lol One of my fav ways to spend a rainy day is curled up on the couch in my snuggie with a good book, some Netflix, and hot chocolate… unless there’s football on… cause if that’s the case, I’m watching football. But if you want to venture out into the rain, and stay dry elsewhere on the Harbor, go see a movie.

Define the Harbor in one word: Home

If you could change one thing about the area, what would it be: There needs to be something done regarding the growing transient population. It’s incredibly sad to see, and sometimes frustrating. Our downtown needs rebuilding, bad… I have faith this will happen though.

Grays Harbor's best kept secret: Until recently, I’d never done the drive around Lake Quinault (I know, right?!). Seeing it in the summer is one thing, seeing it completely covered in snow, is another. Both are completely beautiful. If you’ve never done this, you should. And take me with you. I’m a fabulous companion to have in a vehicle. Unless you hate off key singing.

No comments:

Post a Comment