Thursday, January 5, 2012

Lake Quinault Lodge: The Rest Comes Easy


Truer words may have never been spoken.

Earlier this week my husband, Sal, and I took a quick overnight getaway to the Lake Quinault Lodge in the Olympic National Forest. We wanted to kick our new year off with some time alone, and, well, my Groupon that I purchased for our anniversary last April (and never used) was about to expire. Have you ever been? If not you must go; it's absolutely astounding! I still can't believe such a beautiful location is right here in our own backyard; we should be so proud that a piece of the Olympic National Forest resides in Grays Harbor County.

My husband and I had a wonderful time exploring the Lodge, the Lake and the Forest in the wet rainy weather that we all know to expect during this time of year. The Lodge itself is worth time out of your planned schedule to explore- built in 1926, it is full of architectural and historical touches. Old photographs line the halls, the ceiling beams are painted with native detailing and the cozy main lobby beckons for you to relax in a plush leather couch by the fire. The hotel rooms in the main lodge are quaint and modest. There are also 8 rooms in the Boat house, and then another 36 in the Lakeside complex, which is newer.




The Lobby



Our Room - Main Lodge



Oh No Technology?!
The most astounding thing about the Lodge is that there are no telephones in the rooms, almost no rooms with televisions, and very little cell service. In short, technology quickly becomes an afterthought. It took me all the way through lunch trying to get Facebook to load on my phone before I gave in and tossed it into my purse. After a short bout of cellphone-withdrawals, I acclimated. Without our typical technological crutches my husband and I were forced to- gasp- talk to each other, socialize with one another and entertain each other!






After spending time exploring the Lodge, we found the game room and played a few games of pool (2-him, 1-me); we skipped the ping pong and video games, but they are all a part of the game room as well. We also opted out of the pool & sauna, although both looked very enticing. The part of our stay I enjoyed the most was our after-dinner time in the lobby. The lobby was packed! Guests occupied every couch and conversed, relaxed, played games. It was a warm and welcoming scene even though none of us knew each other. Sal and I sat down at an oversized chess board and, after he gave me a quick chess tutorial, we set into a rousing game of chess (he kicked my butt). After that intense game needed our alone time, and he settled in with a book while I contributed to a community puzzle that was laid out on a nearby table.

Getting Out

Even though it was raining, Sal and I ventured out on the trails (the short ones) to get our outdoor fix. There seems to be an infinite amount of choices for every degree of hiker & time frame. We explored the shore trail behind the Lodge and also ventured out to the Worlds Largest Sitka Spruce (did you know this was in Grays Harbor?!). There are multiple trail guides available for the Olympic National Forest and the Lake Quinault area at the Park Ranger Station located next to the Lodge. There's nothing like getting outside in this area. Even in the rain, it is such a peaceful feeling to walk along the quiet lakeshore and clear your head or have a quiet conversation.



My favorite part of getting outside is the potential for seeing wildlife. While we were really hoping to see elk (and it is very common), we didn't get as lucky. However, we did see two different eagles. I can never get over how big they are! I was so giddy over spotting the second one, that I leaped out of the car and into the rain trying to snap a good picture. Ultimately I'm no photographer, but you can see the Eagles below:








Eat Well
T
he resort is under contract to Aramark, which is a national food service company that runs stadium concessions, cafeterias and hospitality food venues. As such, I didn't expect the onsite restaurant, The Roosevelt Room, to serve anything spectacular. I was pleasantly surprised! The breakfast and lunch menus are full of simple but tasty classics with a PNW twist- omelets or pancakes for breakfast and sandwiches or salads for lunch. But the dinner menu is diverse and slightly larger. I had sesame-crusted Ahi Tuna and Sal had Buffalo Meatloaf. Both were delectable. There is a serious lack of food venues in this area, so this is nearly your only choice except The Salmon House, which posts daily if they are going to be open for Dinner only. I'd show you a picture of our food...but I was never patient enough to take one!

Overall, the brief experience my husband and I had at Lake Quinault Lodge was serene. The calming ambiance of a quiet Lodge on a peaceful lake is refreshing and rejuvenating. I found myself feeling settled and stress free looking out on the lake while I sipped my Chamomile tea. If I had more time I would have spent it there, and I intend to make a return visit (maybe during summer next time). If you would like to explore the Lake Quinault area for a day trip or an overnight stay, visit the website for more information: www.olympicnationalparks.com.




No comments:

Post a Comment