Friday, January 13, 2012

Friday Five: Ah, the mini mart

This is not a top five, by any stretch of the imagination. However, it is a list of five mini marts worth checking out next time you need jojos, Jolt cola (when's the last time you had one of those?), beer, Big League Chew, some of those giant sweet tarts, honey roasted peanuts, the latest copy of Autotrader, ninja stars, a sweet pocket knife with matching flask...

Here we go!

1. Astro Toad's (740 East Main St. Elma 482-4929).
Sunflower seeds, jojos and most importantly, a HUGE walk in beer cave. If you stick your tongue on a beer bottle in the beer cave, it will freeze and get stuck there. I know. I also know its very hard to drink beer out of a bottle that's frozen to your tongue. I don't want to go into detail and relive the memories. I just know it and you need to believe me.


I had to see it to believe it.


2. Brady Food Mart (595 Monte Elma Road, Montesano 249-6952).
Last stop before Schafer State Park. Nice beer and cookie selection- two great tastes thT taste great together. This stop is also the little pick-me-up you need on those long drives to Olympia...it will at least get you to Summit Lake Grocery.


"You said there'd be cookies."


3. Cosi Maxi Mini Mart (1025 1st St. Cosmopolis 532-1067).
Hot food! Corndogs, chicken strips, pizza pockets, those little chicken taquito things, and they have fry sauce. A stop here will guarantee a happy tummy all the way to Raymond, maybe even South Bend.


'Nuff said.


4. Young's Quick Stop I and II (Young's Quick Stop I: 605 W Market St. Aberdeen 533-9601. Young's Quick Stop II: 100 North G St. Aberdeen 533-4770).
A personal favorite of mine, being an Aberdeen kid. Remember those ninja stars I mentioned earlier? They got 'em. Sick swords too. Wallets with chains, bottles of Coke with real sugar, Bob Marley posters...I could go on. Let's just say its a classic.


Another successful shopping trip.


5. You & I Market (51 Main St. Pacific Beach 276-8182).
In the picture dictionary of life, the definition of convenience store is a picture of a mini mart at the beach. The camping, the bbq, the wind in your hair, that constant salty taste in your mouth. Eventually you're going to want some socks that don't have sand in them, a hairbrush, toothbrush (that sand gets EVERYWHERE), ice, Excedrin, mustard, some Bubblicious, and all the other things we overlook when we giddily pack for the beach trip.


Note to self: next time you agree to do this, pee first.


There you go. I know I didn't get them all but it's a starting point. If there's one you like that didn't make the list, please tell us about it. If you're near one of these fine establishments, or if you need to satiate your craving for a Nerds Rope, check them out. I recommend it.

1 comment:

  1. Nice post, hope to see more stuff like this.

    ReplyDelete