Thursday, May 10, 2012

Celebrating Mom, Harbor Style


"Mom!"
"Moooooooom..."
"Mo-OM!"
"MOMMY!"

It was always the first word off my lips when I was in need. So easy to say and so many ways to say it. Whether it was insistent, whiny, impatient or frantic, the word Mom summoned the fixer of all things as a child. Ok, I'll admit, as an adult as well. Even though I'm 28, married and a mother myself, my mom is still my superwoman. There is no one on this planet I love, trust and idolize as much as her. I bet you feel the same way about your Mom, and I'm going to assume that you've tasked yourself with honoring her this Mother's Day with some spectacular day of events this coming Sunday.

No? Uh oh. First, before you earn yourself a motheresque tsk-tsk when you show up at 5pm on Sunday with a box of drugstore chocolates and a handful of wilted dandelions, pick up a real gift. There's still time! Fresh out of inspiration? Greater Grays Harbor, Inc offers a number of suggestions on their Mother's Day blog post that are local and memorable.

Secondly, if you aren't a culinary connoisseur yourself, make reservations at a local restaurant to wow (mom upside down) Mom's palate with an array of deliciously indulgent only-once-a-year-foods like quiche, mimosas and more. I would list the wonderful options here for you.... if businesses in Grays Harbor had websites. From memory, I recall Bridges has done a Mother's Day brunch for many years, the Shilo Inn & Suites in Ocean Shores does one, Wesport Winery is definitely doing a Fete de Meres and some local restaurants like Amore and Mallard's will probably have lovely dinner offerings.

Thirdly, and lastly, celebrate other local mom's! Visit The Daily World's Mother's Day Photo Contest page and vote on your favorite candid snapshot of other Harborite moms in their moments of glory and goofiness with their family.

You know your mom better than you think you do - find something fun and special to do with her this Mother's Day to show her how much you care and appreciate her. We wouldn't be here without our mothers - be sure to say thank you!




No comments:

Post a Comment