Monday, December 12, 2011

The Polson Museum

The Grays Harbor area's history might be fairly short, but this little area has gone through a lot in the last 150 years! I payed a visit to the Polson Museum on Sunday for their Holiday Open House. They warmed me up with their hospitality and hot apple cider then filled my head with a lot of interesting stories about logging history, Native American crafts and 100 year old photos, among other things.



Since I am a semi-professional HGTV viewer, I couldn't wait to see the layout of this mansion, built for the Polson Family in 1926. My home-gawking needs were more than fulfilled by this place. It is beautiful and maintains it's historical integrity, including a couple of closets full of antique clothing and a child's bedroom full of toys (although maybe if you have an irrational fear of dolls like I do, this isn't a room you'll want to check out - at least if it's dark).


If you are interested in the early history of Hoquiam and Aberdeen, they have a great deal of old photographs. I actually got to step into their offices (the old maid's quarters) to see the area where they archive old photos, some from as far back as the mid 1800's. I was told that they have digitized somewhere around 13,000 photos! I imagine that I could spend weeks in there just looking at all the old photos, but I held back and only spent about 2 hours there looking at old slides and learning more and more about what life was like back in the days of the logging boom.




The Polson Museum also has a lovely little gift shop where they sell a variety of local books, gifts and posters. They even have their own wine which they sell at Swanson's grocery!


The museum is open on Saturdays and Sundays from noon until 4pm. There is a minimal entrance fee. Find out more about their exhibits and history on their website www.polsonmuseum.org.

No comments:

Post a Comment