Friday, October 5, 2012

Friday Five: Fall Inspired Coffee

It was T.S. Eliot the prolific English language poet of the 20th century, who reflected on the passing of time by saying, “I have measured out my life with coffee spoons.”  For me, in the fall, I can measure the passing of the fall and winter months by the number of coffee sleeves in my recycling bin.

If you haven't noticed, or you have been living under a rock, you can feel the chill in the air when you wake up in the morning.  It's foggy in the early hours of the day and there is a frost on the ground.  The leaves are beginning to turn colors and the sun, while still bright and shiny, is slow to warm up.  It is the perfect time of year to stop by one of our many quality coffee shops on the harbor and pick up a dressed up cup of joe. 


If you are like myself, and not an avid coffee drinker, you might have trouble deciding what fall combination of flavor to add to your regular latte or mocha.  So my husband and I took it upon ourselves to canvass the harbors' coffee shops and taste what fall had to offer... here is what we came up with! 

The first thing we realized is that the standards are out there, in abundance and everyone has them.  Eggnog? They all have it.  Pumpkin Spice?  Tons of it.  However, if you want to fall of the metaphoical coffee table and take a leap into something unique you have to ask your barista for a fall drink that is something special. 
Let me start with something simple but lovely.  Gingerbread.  The word conjures up Christmasy thoughts and you can almost smell it baking in the oven.  Starbucks does a nice version of this classic wintertime treat, but I am almost positive you can find it at Consistent Cups which is right down the street and local!  With just a hint of nutmeg on top,  a gingerbread latte will get your fall morning off to a good start.  This blogger liked the spicy quality, but was looking for something a little sweeter.  Not too big on the coffee flavor, as I myself like a little coffee with my creamer.

Pumpkin anything... I know this sounds crazy, but these Baristas are putting pumpkin with everything.  Pumpkin White Chocolate, Pumpkin Pie, Pumpkin Cheesecake, Pumpkin Cupcake, Pumpkin Eggnog...the list is essentially endless.  We went for the Pumpkin Cheesecake at Coffee Brake.  No kidding, it tasted like Cheesecake, and this girl knows her cheesecake.  Instead of a regular cake for my birthdays as a kid, I always requested Cheesecake, so I know exactly what I am looking for when it comes to the creamy, cheesy flavor of classic cheesecake.  The latte was a great mix of the pumpkin flavor and creamy cheese and satisfied the craving for all things fall.  I believe I have also seen this flavor on the reader board at Spill the Beans and Fresh Pot Espresso. 

Ah Eggnog.  You must have known we would get around to it sooner or later.  Eggnog is that mysterious liquid that only shows up to the party when there are presents to be exchanged.  It hibernates through the spring and summer and only comes out to play when the ground is wet or white and the chilly air forces our tanned arms into sweaters and coats.  It is Bourbons friend and pairs well with a shot of espresso.  No flavor required with an Eggnog latte, the milk is the flavor!

New to the fall scene is Apple Pie spice.  Much like its cousin Pumpkin Pie Spice, this fruity and spicy combination has an aroma that is intoxicating.  We had this combination out at the beach, Pacific Beach to be exact.  It added much warmth to the hands and throat with its sweet flavor that reminded us of homemade apple pie (a particular favorite of my husbands).
Brown Sugar Cinnamon White Chocolate gets a whole-hearted thumbs up from this writer and her husband.  We picked this flavor combination up by the recommendation of the barista at Coffeeman.  A must for fans of sugar cookies and chocolate, it has a delicious sweet quality that manages to smell like Christmas and taste like fall all at the same time.  I happen to love white chocolate with anything, (no seriously, if I am ordering a coffee without white chocolate you should probably take my temperature as I am most likely deliriously ill) so when you add my favorite flavor to brown sugar and cinnamon it was like a party in my mouth.  A great way to wake up the senses on a cold fall morning.

What are your favorite fall lattes and mochas?  Let us know your favorite flavors and where to get them on the Harbor so we can add them to our list for next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment