Tuesday, July 31, 2012

(The Kids and) I Do LUNCH

I feel like some magical cosmic convergence happened yesterday. I left my house exactly on schedule with both kids in tow (probably a miracle) just in time to stew in a line of cars waiting to drive over freshly pressed oil. Some time during those extra 30 minutes of waiting to eat, my brain had fainted dramatically and refused to make any productive decisions because it-was-probably-going-to-die. Like. Any second. I started believing it was right until I was beckoned by a friendly navy blue logo shouting "LUNCH customers only. Park here." Thank you, sign.

You know how they say "Never go grocery shopping hungry"? They should said "Never pass up LUNCH when you are hungry". Erin (Owner. Sandwich Chef. Server. Cacti enthusiast.) knows how to feed people. I rushed through the inviting dining room and stood in wonderment before the giant menu board filled with food descriptions. I'm not really sure I actually read anything. I just trusted my eyes to directly connect to my gut and followed it's orders. There is no wrong answer on that board. With power words like BACON in multiple menu items, I did not feel worried. I felt like I should high-five that massive menu. I didn't because I've never met Erin before and didn't want to give her the wrong impression.

My belly chose the Turkey and Swiss with Cucumbers and Sprouts, and a cup of Aunt Bev's Wild Mushroom soup. I'm glad it was in control, because if I had been in a more stable state I would have stood in front of that menu for far to long. Everything sounded great. I do wish I could've stopped to think about taking a photo of the tower of a sandwich and well coiffed soup placed before me. Unfortunately, I didn't remember to document it until I finished a good bit of my sandwich. That, and my 2 year old heartily volunteered to slurp up my soup, whether I gave him my spoon or not. This is not a normal cold-cut sandwich. There is real, quality flaked turkey on wheat with at least half of a cucumber embraced by a generous cloud of fresh and lightly peppery sprouts. And mayo? Not normal mayo. I am pretty sure there was something special in there. Mustard? Sunbeams? It was delightful, summery and satisfying. The mushroom soup was not what I expected, but exactly what I needed. The broth is very light and refreshing, but still creamy and filling. It was well seasoned and hearty chunks of different mushroom shapes were tender, meaty, and earthy. Just how a mushroom should taste.
 
I learned a few things while I devoured each crumb of my meal. I learned that Erin has traveled, studied, worked and eaten her way through some impressive places and then found her way back to Aberdeen to build a restaurant around a sense of community and thoughtful, seasonal dishes. I learned that each recipe on the menu can be traced to a beloved family member. And I learned that Erin is ridiculously patient with prying and redundant questions posed by my four-year old. Thank you for talking about cacti for 15 minutes while I shoved a sandwich in my face. You are a life saver.

If you are looking for a quiet place away from the office, I recommend stopping into LUNCH to savor your sandwich, salad, or soup in peace. The dining room is spacious but Sam Benn Park is right outside the window and would be a great place for a picnic. If you are simply too busy to slip out for a break, LUNCH is open at 7:30am. Grab your coffee from their full espresso bar, munch on a pastry, oatmeal or other breakfast goodie and ask them nicely to pack your lunch for later. Nothing says "Productive Morning" like knowing what you'll be eating before noon! OR, are you currently reading this from work? (We won't tell) Feel free to salivate over their online menu with your coworkers and have Lunch deliver to you. There is a $45 minimum order, but once these menus start circulating, you'll find someone to split the bill. If your commute does not bring you through Aberdeen, fear not! LUNCH now offers a selection of pre-crafted gourmet sandwiches at the Tully's in downtown Hoquiam, Tinderbox Coffee Roasters in Westport, and Central Station Espresso in Central Park. Wherever you find LUNCH, be sure to share it with friends and enjoy the rest of your afternoon with a full belly

Wonderful food awaits at LUNCH Monday through Friday, 7:30 am to 4pm. Call
(360) 537-6095 to reserve a large table or just stop by 1006 North H Street in Aberdeen. Your tummy will be glad you did.




No comments:

Post a Comment