Friday, July 6, 2012

Friday Five: Hot Dog!

Judging by the fact that I was able to comfortably wear shorts and sandals today, I'm going to say summer has begun. And with summer comes many things: backyard badmitton, looking so cool on your sea-doo (am I the only one who thinks that's a terrible name for anything other than fish droppings?), luke-warm cans of cheap beer in a foam cozy and, wait for it... hot dogs.



Yes, the All American hot dog! I've bet you've consumed at least three this week and I also bet you've denied it to at least as many people (including yourself). Why are those strange tubes of mystery meats so delicious?! And why does every city seem to have their own hot dog tradition?

If you are ever in Chicago and order a hot dog DO NOT under any circumstances put ketchup on it. Did you see what happened to Jack McBrayer when he visited Chicago's popular Weiner's Circle? Anyway, let me break it down for you: You got an Vienna all-beef frankfurter (simply called a "beef") on a poppyseed bun, add yellow mustard, chopped white onions, neon green sweet pickle relish, a dill pickle spear, a tomato wedge, a pickle sport pepper, and celery salt. Sounds like a lot, right? I ate a few while I was in Chicago and I'm a convert. It's delicious!

In Seattle, cream cheese is king. This is the stuff that can only be found from street vendors somewhere between 2am and Pike St. My favorite cream cheese hot dog comes from Zach's Shack in Portland - The James Brown Dog: Cream Cheese, Chili, Jalapeno and Sour Cream. It's terrible and amazing all at the same time.

I've decided we need a Grays Harbor specific hot dog and I've come up with five options. I have not actually tried any of these, but I think they all sound... ok.

1. The Sea Dog

Hot Dog + Halibut + Coleslaw + Fresh Squeezed Lemon + Sprinkled Sand



2. The Hot & Crabby Dog

Hot Dog + Jalepeno + Crab + Butter + Bib



3. The Taco Dog

Hot Dog in a tortilla + Shredded Pork + Chopped Onions + Cilantro + Tequila



4. The Hippie Dog

1/2 Hot Dog + 1/2 Tofu Dog + Whole Wheat Bun + Kelp Noodles + Sriracha Sauce



5. The Sasquatch Dog

Hot Dog roasted on a tree branch + Foraged Mushrooms + Mustard you found at a strangers camp site 



Think you have a better suggestion? Please share with us. I'm going to get started on taste testing. 

(PS - Will someone buy and reopen the Hotdog House?!)

No comments:

Post a Comment